Sunday, August 7, 2011

Big boy beds and various life changing events



Good afternoon. Big changes in the Polanek household these days and who can keep up with it all? Not me. It seems like every weekend, we are going through a new "phase" and a phase is a lot to pack into two days off. Last weekend, Henry climbed out of his crib. Now, I know that I'm lucky. Henry was over 2 years old before deciding that it was time to make his move. The kid is big and definitely able so I was personally, pretty surprised it didn't happen sooner. Then one lovely afternoon, I was out with my friends and I mentioned that he hadn't broken free yet. Wouldn't you know it, John texted me while I was out, saying Henry had made the big jump.....blast!

Talk about a traumatizing afternoon. We converted his crib into the toddler bed (which is an awesome bonus feature to have on a crib!). And I cried. There's nothing like seeing that crib taken apart. I remember sitting in that room when it was empty and freshly painted, thinking who was this person that was relaxing on my bladder anyway? How was their arrival going to change my life? And two years later I was still just beginning to learn the answer to those questions.

The bed was transformed and let me tell you, Henry was less than impressed! No, he was mad. He was just as upset about the changes and the growing up as I was, probably not for the same reasons but there is no doubt he was unsettled and pretty nervous which, like his mother, caused him to react with frustration and respond with exorcist like screaming. Ok I take that back the exorcist like screaming might have been mastered by my son that weekend, my impression still needs a bit of work.

Do you know what it's like to explain to a kid that they have the freedom of a big boy bed but that that sort of freedom is actually more figurative than literal? No, they don't understand that. If something is not restraining them such as a belt, a crib, a hand, a leash attached to a monkey backpack, then they think it's time to test the waters, check it out until they are reeled back in. It is not fun to explain these new rules and boundaries that accompany a cribless life to a child at 8pm and it definitely doesn't get easier as the clock ticks closer to 4am. And have I reminded anyone yet that my son is 2? Yeah 2. It's everything they say it is. Good and bad.....

I sound pretty sarcastic don't I? Well it was a terrible weekend. It was hard and sad and I was bummed to see another sign that my baby was growing up. But I'm also amazed to see him grow. He is incredible. He's smart. I know everyone says that but it's true. And not only is he smart, he's a gifted dancer.....Someone (ok it was me) introduced him to a little movie called dirty dancing. Ok, he's obviously too young to watch the movie just yet, but I played the final song for him on you tube, you know, "I've had the time of my life". he loved it.

Everyday he points at the tv and says dirty dancing? He watches Patrick Swayze and he mimics his moves as best as a toddler can. Every now and then he requests that John or I lift him into the air just like Jennifer Grey. It's awesome. So let me just say, the rough days are rough, really rough. And if I take a moment to myself, which means taking an extra long shower or doing the dishes alone in the kitchen, usually the tantrums end and the tough side of 2 dissipates. I can come out of my moment of zen to a little blond haired blue eyed boy who is shaking his hips, holding a microphone (from his dad's electronic stash) and with his arms raised up at me shouting gleefully, "Mommy dance!"

No comments:

Post a Comment